Creating a Communication Strategy
Are we prepared to manage the flow of ideas and information surrounding the change?
This module explains how a communication strategy is a crucial element in defining the overall approach and tone of change management communications. It demonstrates how the goal of change communication is to convert the need recognized by a change ‘visionary’ and convert it into meaningful, appropriately pitched messages. The module also describes the specific elements that a communication strategy includes.
BUY THIS WORKSHOP TRAINING MODULE
10 page facilitator guide
3 engaging training activities
21 slide presentation deck
03:15 min summary video
8 resources in reading guide
has been added to your cart!
have been added to your cart!
30 DAY GUARANTEE
Summary Video & Discussion
TARGET AUDIENCE: All learners SUGGESTED TIMING: 15 - 30 minutes
The module subject-matter is introduced using a short animated video. The knowledge-check and personal reflections questions are then used to explore learners’ understanding and experience before moving on to other connected activities.
Facilitators can make us of a range of techniques such as brainstorming or debates to explore the knowledge check questions.
Use examples of learners’ experiences in the supplementary activity which follows.
Creating a Stakeholder Communications Grid
TARGET AUDIENCE: All learners SUGGESTED TIMING: 25 - 45 minutes
This activity involves identifying the key communication themes for a change initiative and understanding which stakeholders will be interested in these themes through the creation of a Stakeholder Communications Grid.
[NB: If the module Change Stakeholder Analysis has been completed, this activity builds on the stakeholder identification work in this module.]
Writing a Communication Strategy
TARGET AUDIENCE: All learners SUGGESTED TIMING: 40 - 60 minutes
This activity completes the remainder of the communications strategy.
Learners should work in small groups and the activity should end with each group presenting their strategies to the other groups and receiving feedback from their fellow learners.
DURATION: 03:15 MINS
Explains concepts in a concise, memorable manner. Includes a bulleted summary at the conclusion and matching job-aid handout PDF.
Comprehensive yet easy-to-follow instructions for facilitating workshops with the above training activities. Includes useful tips and sample answers to questions. No expertise in the topic area is required.
Presentation Slide Deck
For use during workshops in both PDF & editable PPT formats. Slide numbers for each activity are referenced in the Facilitation Guide.
RESOURCES LISTED: 8
Useful for participants wishing to deep dive into the module topic with links to the web's best articles, books and tools. PDF format.
Everything you need to facilitate successful training activities.
- Commitment to change postcards
- Guess who stakeholder cards
- Job-aid summary
- Planning a communication strategy worksheet
- Terminology flash cards
Tools & Templates
Used during training activities. These can also be used for change implementation.
- ‘Planning a communication strategy’ worksheet
This module will activate your organization to:
- encourage change leaders to take a strategic approach to communications during change, investing time and effort in creating a guiding strategy document prior to change activity implementation and the bulk of the day-to-day communications occurring
- brief change leadership groups prior to the creation of a change communication strategy in order to contextualize how the strategy fits within the overall change management initiative and underline its importance
- demonstrate how those individuals who recognize the need for an organization to change may not necessarily be best equipped to communicate that need within the organization, and offer them support to ensure that the message is passed around the organization in the most adaptive manner
- help managers and supervisors understand that although change communications are carefully coordinated, there may be some ambiguity and uncertainty from time-to-time during a change initiative
This module will empower your teams and individuals to:
- understand that communication is a key activity of change management leaders, sponsors, managers and supervisors during change initiatives
- recognize that the manner in which messages and information flows during a change initiative is one of the most important success factors for that change
- be aware of the benefits of creating a clear communication strategy for a change initiative that guides the creation of the communication plan
- appreciate that as change initiatives inevitably transform over time, the detrimental effects of ambiguity are partially mitigated by having a well-understood communication process and change vision
This module is ideal for use at this stage of change implementation:
This module will boost engagement levels during the following change methodology stages:
|Change Management Methodology||Stage / phase|
|AIM (Accelerated Implementation Methodology)||Communication|
|Kurt Lewin’s Three Stage Change Model||Unfreeze: Create the need for change|
|Prosci Enterprise Change Management Model||Implementation: Create change management plan|
|Prosci Change Management Levers||Communications lever|
|Bridges Leading Transition Model for Change||Letting Go: Communicate during transition|
|Beckhard and Harris Change Management Process||Communicating and engaging|
|John Kotter Eight Step Model for Change||Communicating the Vision for Buy-in|
|ADKAR Model for Change Management||Awareness|
|The Change Leader’s Roadmap model||Phase VI – Plan & Organize for Implementation|
|LaMarsh Change Management Model||Implement the Change|
|People Centered Implementation (PCI) Model||Powerful Engagement Processes|
|Viral Change Roadmap Model||Engagement|
|General Electric Change Acceleration Process (CAP)||Creating A Shared Need|